DSpace
 

KNUSTSpace >
Conference Proceedings >
College of Science >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/12642

Title: Interpretation of geological structures hosting potential gold deposits in the Konongo Gold Mine using airborne magnetic, electromagnetic and radiometric datasets
Authors: Brempong, Fosu
Wemegah, David Dotse
Preko, Kwasi
Armah, Thomas
Aning, Akwasi Acheampong
et. al
Keywords: Radiometry
Magnetic
Electromagnetic
Geological Structures
Gold Mineralization
Issue Date: 30-Jun-2019
Publisher: Scientific Research Publishing Inc.
Citation: Brempong, F., Wemegah, D. D., Preko, K., Armah, T., Boadi, B., Menyeh, A., Oppong, I. A., Quarshie, M. M., Aning, A. A., Asare, V. S., & Noye, R. M. (2019). Interpretation of Geological Structures Hosting Potential Gold Deposits in the Konongo Gold Mine Using Airborne Magnetic, Electromagnetic and Radiometric Datasets. Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection, 7, 203-225. https://doi.org/10.4236/gep.2019.76016
Abstract: The renewed interest in the reactivation of the defunct National Konongo Gold Mine located in the Ashanti Greenstone Belt, calls for a further probe into its geology and the associated mineral hosting structures to discover its mineralization potential. In order to achieve this, airborne magnetic, radiometric and electromagnetic datasets were interpreted to determine the potential gold hosting features in the studied area. The results show the area to consist of the metasediment, the metavolcanic, Tartwaian Formation and their associated granitoids. Results also show that the Tarkwaian sediments, observed largely in the north-eastern side of the site; widen out substantially and truncate in the south. The analysis of the structure lineaments using a rose diagram reveals three main tectonic structures trending in N-S, NNW-SSE, and third the structure trending in the NNE-SSW to NE-SW directions in the area. The dominant structures in the area, form 90% of all the delineated structures and trend in the NE-SW and NNE-SSW direction with the remaining 10% trending in the N-S and NNW-SSE. These structures are associated with the major shear and fracture zones located mainly at the contact between the basin sediments and volcanic belt and also associated with the Tarkwaian Formation. The mapped potential gold mineralization zones located mainly at the contact between the metasediment and the metavolcanic units of the Birimian Supergroup, as well as the Tarkwaian Formation, were mapped by integrating the structures, alteration zones as well as the complex dyke systems. This paper delineates the prominent geological structures with the potential of hosting economic gold mineralization in and around the Konongo Gold Mine.
Description: An article published by Scientific Research Publishing Inc. and also available at DOI: 10.4236/gep.2019.76016 Jun. 30, 2019
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/12642
Appears in Collections:College of Science

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
GEP_2019070115390762.pdf3.95 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback