DSpace
 

KNUSTSpace >
Research Articles >
College of Health Sciences >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/10717

Title: Adulteration of Ghanaian topical herbal preparations with dexamethasone
Authors: Ofori-Kwakye, Kwabena
Ayensu, Isaac
Akyinah, Beatrice
Kipo, Samuel Lugrie
Boakye-Gyasi, Mariam El
Keywords: Dexamethasone
Topical herbal preparations
Adulteration
Topical corticosteroids
Issue Date: 2014
Publisher: World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Citation: World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Volume 3, Issue 6, 134-141.
Abstract: The aim of the study was to evaluate topical herbal preparations available on the Ghanaian market for the presence of the allopathic topical corticosteroid, dexamethasone. Sixteen herbal topical cream and ointment preparations were sampled and analysed by HPLC for dexamethasone. Seven of the sixteen samples 7/16 (43.75 %) contained dexamethasone at a mean concentration of 654 μg/g (range: 79-1200 μg/g) but the rest of the samples 9/16 (56.25 %) did not contain dexamethasone. The highest amount of dexamethasone was found in THP5 (1200 μg/g) while the lowest was detected in THP12 (79 μg/g). The herbal ingredients in four of the samples 4/16 (25 %) were absent from the product labels. Eight of the topical herbal preparations (50 %) were registered with the statutory medicines regulatory authority in Ghana while the remaining eight samples were unregistered. The study has shown that dexamethasone is increasingly being used fraudulently as an adulterant of topical herbal preparations to boost the therapeutic activity of such preparations. There is the need for enhanced control, monitoring and regulation by the medicines regulatory authorities in Ghana and other Sub-Saharan African countries to stem this growing menace.
Description: An article published by World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences,2014, Volume 3, Issue 6, 134-141.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/10717
Appears in Collections:College of Health Sciences

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
ADULTERATION OF TOPICAL HERBAL PREPARATIONS.pdf428.08 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Valid XHTML 1.0! DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2010  Duraspace - Feedback